Visitors to the club often comment on the calm, civilised atmosphere which pervades the premises.
Whilst this is indeed true, it belies the vibrant and varied programme of dinners, informal suppers, film nights, quizzes, concerts and talks arranged throughout the year.
In addition to these general events, the various societies within the institution (including, amongst others, the Literature, History, Architecture and Music Societies) host regular specialist events, which are open to all proprietors.
The jewel in the crown of the institution is its library, and proprietors have access to a fascinating archive of books, maps and illustrations for serious research or simply reading for pleasure.
In recent years the club has benefited from the arrival of a number of younger members from various professions and businesses within Merseyside. For all proprietors the Athenaeum is a welcoming haven during a busy day, and a relaxing venue for lunchtimes and evenings. For those members who travel—either for business or on holiday—there is the added benefit of reciprocal arrangements with many other clubs throughout the world, most of which offer residential accommodation.
The many benefits of Athenaeum membership
• A comfortable Newsroom, offering complimentary tea and coffee as well as a wide range of daily newspapers and magazines
• Delicious, high quality meals served in our own dining room
• An extensive and historic members’ library with the services of professional librarian available to assist members who wish to undertake research.
• A wide range of social activities, including lectures, informal speakers, musical evenings and formal dinners
• Complimentary drop-in meeting facilities for up to six people
• Members’ room hire rates for private dining, board meetings, training courses and seminars.
• Account facilities for corporate members
• Access to a worldwide network of reciprocal clubs, many in London.
• Complimentary and secure WiFi connectivity in all public areas and meeting rooms
• Discounts available from local businesses including City Centre parking.