Entries are now being received for the 16th reprisal of the Frank Moran Young Writers Competition. The annual writing award (formally known as the Athenaeum Writer In Residence Award), is held by the Athenaeum, in partnership with the Liverpool Echo & Radio Merseyside, is the premier writing competition for young people across Merseyside. Full details of the competition, and how to enter can be found below.
The Award includes;
- Designation as Writer – In – Residence for one year.
- Prize of £1,000.00.
- Publication of the winning entry in the Liverpool Echo
- An Opportunity to produce and publish two articles, essays or poems via BBC Radio Merseyside & The Liverpool Echo.
- Honorary Membership of the Athenaeum for one year including access to the Library.
- An Invitation from the Athenaeum to a Lunch or Dinner on an appropriate occasion.
In addition, if the entry comes via a school, The Athenaeum will donate £100.00 to be used for the Purchase of books for the School Library. Towards the end of his or her year, we will expect from the winner an appropriate report on the year’s activities and rewards.
The award is open to all young people who will be between the ages of 16 and 19 on 24th November 2017, the final date for the receipt of entries.
How to enter
Writers are invited to submit an example of some 1,000 – 1,200 words of original prose which can be in the form of a short story, a travel essay or something about which they feel passionate. It may be serious or amusing. What the judges are looking for is an example of their work which they are proud to have written. You can enter the competition using the below form, however we are accepted copies via post also.
Electronic copies must be sent as PDF or Word files.
The Closing date for entries is 24th November 2017, for further information please contact email@example.com or 0151 709 7770.